Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Elder Wirthlin

Wow. That was a shock- I just barely learned that Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin died last night. I hate having people die. I know they are better off, my problem is ME. I hate letting go of people and I have a really hard time with it. I feel really attached to the 12 apostles and First Presidency- I know their voices, names, even facts about their lives. Realize that I've had the same apostles from the time President Hunter died 'til a few years ago when Elder Haight died and started the chain of dyingness. Each man's death is a blow to me, I think because they've always been there, and for some reason I think that they will always be there. It's like my grandparents all over again. Don't get me wrong, I love all of our new apostles as well and I know they were called of God, I think I have some issues with change is all.

Elder Wirthlin was amazing. I remember him coming and giving us a fireside at BYU-I, and from that time forward, I really paid special attention to what he had to say. He was very good at making things personable, doable. I don't know how to explain it, I just remember how I felt so good after his talk, and not like a failure, and also that I wanted to be better for myself and not anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Very few people know about what I am about to tell you, but then again it depends on how many read this LOL.

    Elder Wirthlin has a special place in our hearts. :) When Aaron was serving in Austria, Elder Wirthlin visited them. He gave Aaron $5 and told him to keep until he really needed it. Several years later, it bought formula for the twins when we had no other money. And at that time, it as a BIG deal that he had given that little amount to us.

    During General Conference the spirit whispered to me that he did not have much time, which prepared me for when he passed. A friend of mine who was investigating at that time I told how I felt, and she, now a member, was amazed that I knew. But I didn't, the spirit did. I think that they only constant in our lives besides the gospel, is change. Things always change, but they are used for our good in the long run. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete